Friday, October 22, 2010

For the love of Veggies

On a whim, I bought some brussels sprouts last weekend. I've never  prepared them before and I decided to roast them. I posted about this on facebook a few times, and received enough responses that I thought a blog post was in order.

I started with some raw brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower.
Then I drizzled some walnut olive oil & cinnamon pear balsamic vinegar on top...
We bought this oil & balsamic at a wonderful store called Old Town Oil (http://www.oldtownoil.com/). My husband and I first went there on a food tour in Chicago. They let you sample the oils & balsamics so that you can find a combo that works for you. Enough about the toppings...
I put the coated veggies on a pizza stone & baked them for about 15 minutes at 400 degrees.
I put together a quick salad and added the roasted veggies to the plate:
In this mix, I also had fresh spinach, strawberries, cocoa-dusted almonds, gruyere cheese slices, and a touch of roasted red pepper hummus. I added a slice of wheat bread and chowed down!

I think I'll toss in some apples the next time I roast veggies.

What are your favorite veggies & how do you like to prepare them?

2 comments:

  1. I am not sure if it is a vegetable but I love when fall comes around because I get to have butternut squash! I like to roast is and then blend it into a yummy soup.

    This week I plan to try acorn squash as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love butternut squash! Have you tried putting it in oatmeal? It is delicious for sure.

    ReplyDelete