Monday, October 11, 2010

A little hint about mint...

We took a trip to our local Farmers' Market on Saturday. Our dear friends have purchased a share of a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program. They were out of town for the Chicago Marathon, so they told us that we could have this week's bounty.

We got some yummy peppers, garlic, mustard greens (which are surprisingly great raw), sweet potatoes, and a few sprigs of chocolate mint. I'm not usually a fan of mint, but it was either that or catnip. The catnip threw me for a loop, so we chose the mint. The farmer gave us lots of ideas of how to use the mint in desserts.

On Sunday, my nose was stuffy so we were researching natural decongestants. Somebody online said that they had used mint for this purpose. My ever-resourceful husband got the idea to make a hot drink with the mint. All he did was boil water and pour it into a cup over some mint leaves. The product was delicious! I took time to breathe in the steam before drinking it. I drank it like tea without any sweetner.

Now, of course, I'm hooked on this drink. I'll have to grow my own mint in a pot so that I can have unlimited cups of my new hot drink. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. Yummmmmm - that drink sounds good! I grew mint this year, but never ended up using it because I didn't know what to use it for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know what you think if you try it. I don't usually like mint tea, but this was delicious!

    ReplyDelete