Saturday, October 2, 2010

Is that a fake I.D.?

Yesterday, I was running errands around town. Towards the end of my journey, I decided to pick up a treat for my husband to enjoy after work. I've been on a bit of a "pumpkin kick" lately. I have stored up cans of it in my house. I've been hunting for pumpkin donuts and pumpkin beer. Doesn't pumpkin beer sound delicious? I was super excited about it.
I popped into one of our local liquor stores. I live in a college town, so there is no shortage of liquor stores (and pizza joints). One of the helpful employees helped me pick out a nice pumpkin beer. I took my purchase over to the register where another employee was waiting to take my money. There are signs all over the store warning those who are under 21 to  not even try to buy anything at this store. One sign even says that everyone gets asked for his/her I.D. and you may have to show more than one. To save the employee some trouble, I gave him my I.D. before he asked. We were making small talk as he was checking my I.D. He paused...looked at me...then looked at my I.D. again all with a very serious look on his face. I laughed and said "Do 31 year old people usually have fake I.Ds?". It was a dumb joke, but I was really surprised that this was taking so long. He then ran my I.D. through some machine that checks for the watermarks to prove authenticity.
Finally, he turned to me and gave me back my license. He said "I don't know how to say this nicely, but if you were any younger I probably wouldn't have accepted your I.D.". It turns out that the wonderful employees of the Indiana DMV did not print my driver's license properly. They cut off information at the bottom (such as the transaction number and my hair color). He compared my license with his to prove the error to me. He told me to take it back and complain since it looks like I made my license myself.
So, because the DMV in my city doesn't believe in doing quality checks, I'm walking around flashing a homemade-looking driver's license. I've been doing this for 2 years now. At least I now know, just in case I get refused service somewhere else.
By the way, the pumpkin beer was not great. I'm on a mission to find a better brand. I'm also still waiting for my local donut shop to start making pumpkin donuts.

2 comments:

  1. i hope you find a pumpkin beer that is good. I'm not sure how I feel about the idea of pumpkin beer...

    ...can you go back to hell...i mean the DMV...and have them print you a non-shady license?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The two pumpkin beers that I have tried just tasted like beer. I have my eye on 2 other brands to try.

    I'm not sure about the DMV. I don't know if it's even worth enduring their wrath. I think I'll just wait it out and try not to shop at the same liquor store. :)

    ReplyDelete